P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Has anyone ever heard of this company iKon?
if u have, do u know if they are any good or not?

plkease provide input

thank you

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
Good looking speakers...are they expensive?

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Well the two fronts were abit over $1200

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
my mistake
the two fronts are actualy $3999
the center and rears were 499

So... do you work for the company? Cause as of this reply you have a total of 9 posts and 8 have to do with this speaker company that I've never heard of before.

Did you hear them before you bought them? Or did you just drop over $5500 because they had a lot of drivers? :confused:

You must have a lot of extra cash to buy speakers like that when you've never heard of them and know nothing about them.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Actually no i dont work for them - no i dont have excess cash
i dont care how many posts ive made, i just wanted help on a system that ive purchased only because i was given a really good deal on it plus the demo of it sounded really good. the only thing that concerns me was the fact that no one ever heard of this company.

I apologize if i made too many posts, i never knew there was a limit.

All i wanted was a little help and i was eager to recieve it.

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
Placebo005 said:
my mistake
the two fronts are actualy $3999
the center and rears were 499
The fronts for $3999.....is that for the powered or non-powered?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Placebo005 said:
Actually no i dont work for them - no i dont have excess cash
i dont care how many posts ive made, i just wanted help on a system that ive purchased only because i was given a really good deal on it plus the demo of it sounded really good. the only thing that concerns me was the fact that no one ever heard of this company.

I apologize if i made too many posts, i never knew there was a limit.

All i wanted was a little help and i was eager to recieve it.
Demo? Where did you demo? I don't see any Dealers listed. :confused:

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
$3999 for the powered CM6500

The demo was at this store called world sound and vision in square one shopping mall in ontario

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Shopsquareone.com

Well, the shopping center and store do exist.

www.shopsquareone.com/stores.asp?store_name=World_Sound__Vision&store=481

That is a lot to plop down on a set of speakers. Must have been one heck of a salesman - or at least the demo was pretty awe inspiring. What made you buy them? Had you demo'd a lot of other brands before these? What type of amp were they run off of? Did you pay retail, or did they come down quite a ways? It appears the website is brand new, not having any dealers or literature available on these speakers. If they are some type of Harman Kardon, JBL, or Infinity, none of the websites say anything about Ikon. If they are a new mfg., then this distributor may have just picked them up. I guess we'll have to rely on you for the review once you purchase the rest of the system.

G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
Placebo005 said:
$3999 for the powered CM6500

The demo was at this store called world sound and vision in square one shopping mall in ontario
Thanks....so after your demo what is your opinion of them?

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
The sub part is not very impressive at 34 Hz...for $3,999, that is. They also have a dedicated 12" sub, but again at 34 Hz.

May I suggest that you would have good (better) results buying front Towers for less than $1,000 plus a good sub capable of at least 25 Hz. That is unless your choice of music is limited to Vivaldi with little amount of bass content...

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
We had a World Sound & Vision in the mall where I live too. I never found shopping there to be a very pleasent experience. The motto of this store seemed to be salemanship through pushyness. Seriously they must have had very strict quotas or something. Every week there were turnovers with the staff (or at least every time I went in there). They were the local seller of Nuance speakers, and that was the only brand of speakers that they carried. But they did carry a selection of receivers that our local big chain stores didn't. Not too long ago there was a post on this site that linked to information about Nuance and the trouble they are in legally, or were in any event. I almost bought a Nuance HT system from this shopbecause of the markdown. Some of you may have heard the pitch or a similar one. Retails for $8000 but for today only, and for the next 10 minutes only, I can sell it to you for $1300. Too good to be true so I walked away, and kicked myself for a long time about it. Then the shop left the mall with no notice, just there one day, gone the next. No closing sale, no notice to customers, no explanation.
I don't know about I-Kon speakers, but I would not but anything from World sound & Vision that was worth more, or could have more go wrong with it, than say a cable. That plus the word Kon in the name of a product? I can't bash this company because I've never heard their product, but a 12" sub that only goes down to 34 hz for that kind of scratch? Come on, somethings not right. I bet that if someone did some digging they would find a link between Nuance and I-Kon. By the way Nuance was famous for having sales staff post repeatedly on various sites and attacking anyone who said that their products were not what they claimed. That and for pushy salesmanship. I'm not saying that that is the case here, I'm just warning.

P

Placebo005

Junior Audioholic
Takeereasy said:
We had a World Sound & Vision in the mall where I live too. I never found shopping there to be a very pleasent experience. The motto of this store seemed to be salemanship through pushyness. Seriously they must have had very strict quotas or something. Every week there were turnovers with the staff (or at least every time I went in there). They were the local seller of Nuance speakers, and that was the only brand of speakers that they carried. But they did carry a selection of receivers that our local big chain stores didn't. Not too long ago there was a post on this site that linked to information about Nuance and the trouble they are in legally, or were in any event. I almost bought a Nuance HT system from this shopbecause of the markdown. Some of you may have heard the pitch or a similar one. Retails for $8000 but for today only, and for the next 10 minutes only, I can sell it to you for $1300. Too good to be true so I walked away, and kicked myself for a long time about it. Then the shop left the mall with no notice, just there one day, gone the next. No closing sale, no notice to customers, no explanation.
I don't know about I-Kon speakers, but I would not but anything from World sound & Vision that was worth more, or could have more go wrong with it, than say a cable. That plus the word Kon in the name of a product? I can't bash this company because I've never heard their product, but a 12" sub that only goes down to 34 hz for that kind of scratch? Come on, somethings not right. I bet that if someone did some digging they would find a link between Nuance and I-Kon. By the way Nuance was famous for having sales staff post repeatedly on various sites and attacking anyone who said that their products were not what they claimed. That and for pushy salesmanship. I'm not saying that that is the case here, I'm just warning.
Well i actually didnt buy it at full price, it would have cost me $6000 for everything but after refusing and refushing to buy, they were able to cut me a deal. Plus the extras are good too - btw now and 3 years, i can return my 2 fronts for full money back and upgrade to the CM6800. Other then that, i have a full 3 year warrenty with world sound aand vision and a 5 year warrenty with iKon.
As for the Demo - The first set of speakers they tried to sell me were the CM650 towers and i didnt like those too much, like, it sounded cool and all - but when he played metallica- enter sandman on the CM6500 it sounded awesome. I didnt get to play around with it as i hoped.
I am setting up the speakers tonite so ill give ya a review on how they are.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Very, very good advice...

mfabien said:
May I suggest that you would have good (better) results buying front Towers for less than $1,000 plus a good sub capable of at least 25 Hz. That is unless your choice of music is limited to Vivaldi with little amount of bass content...
Many shiny drivers and a powered woofer (not subwoofer. passive Athena F2's go to 35 hz.) do not a great speaker make.

I think it's more like "U Konned" speakers. Even with that trade up guarantee you're still lockecd into the Uconned line.

Shoulda checked out the BIC or Athena lines. Although I haven't heard the BIC's personally, They have been getting some pretty good press from several people here lately. Looks similar, a lot cheaper and for the price difference you could have easily affored a kick arse sub that goes well below 34 hz.

I have heard the Athena's though. You missed a good bet here.

Last edited:
W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Looks like Ikon is related to the Quest brand of speakers which is located at the same HQ. Quest is an ultra low end line of speakers sold in Future Shop stores here in Canada.

http://www.questhifi.com/home.html

An upgrade policy at a store is only as valuable as the longevity of the store and the brand itself. It sounds like IKON is a high price line from the same guys that brought us the Quest brand that I steer everybody away from (my friend bought a sub from Quest, and it was utter garbage even at the cheap price he paid for it).

You would have done much better with an Athena system. They know what they are doing, and you can resale them at a good price if you decide to upgrade. For the price you paid, you could have gotten a top grade Energy C-series tower system, or any number of very respected Canadian brands like Paradigm, PSB

Looking at the specs....they don't even specify the +/- dB tolerance for their frequency response for ANY of their speakers. I'd run, and run far away from this brand. Without that, it's like a car maker saying their car is capable of 0-60MPH without saying how many seconds. And even 35Hz for the 6500 tower with a POWERED sub is pretty unimpressive and completely meaningless.

I think you got conned.

Last edited:
TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
I'm thinking the name tells the whole story......

.........IKON.......Icon.......I con

I'd take them back and get all of my money back. I'd do it now!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Placebo,

I don't like what I'm hearing about this World Sound and Vision. What is their return policy? Do they have a 30 day money back guarantee? From the receiver's you were looking at, it didn't make sense to me how or why you spent what you did on speakers. And the website has absolutely no information on dealers or literature. If Warpdrive is right, I would consider returning them if you can - saying they just don't sound like they did in the store and you are not satisfied (if indeed you aren't). Any reputable store will allow returns. That's the beauty of brick and mortar stores as opposed to online shopping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis